There’s boring fried rice and there’s fried rice with an attitude. This one has A LOT of attitude. Grated fresh turmeric was used for this yellow fried rice with shrimps and coconut cream. Turmeric belongs to the ginger family but it is not as spicy as ginger. If you want more bite to this dish, you can use a combination of grated turmeric and ginger. That way, you get the beautiful yellow color plus the spiciness.
For a truly Oriental touch, season the fried rice with patis (fish sauce) rather than salt. Not only does fish sauce add a golden reddish tinge to the cooked dish, it also gives it a piquant (some might say pungent) aroma and flavor that you will never get from salt.
To be perfectly honest, I tasted one grain of rice and nothing else because I’m allergic to shrimps. But my husband and daughters had no complaints so I must have done something good. In my family, silence during a meal means, “Don’t disturb me, I’m concentrating on the great chow!”
- 4 to 6 cups cooked rice cooled (chilled preferably) and lightly mashed to separate the grains
- 250 grams shrimps shelled and deveined
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and finely minced
- 1 onion or 2 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 two-inch piece turmeric peeled and grated
- 12 to 15 yard-long beans trimmed and cut into half-inch lengths
- 1 finger chili finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced onion leaves
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 egg beaten
- 6 tablespoons vegetable cooking oil
- patis (fish sauce) to taste
Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan. Pour in the beaten egg and cook until firm. Transfer the egg to a chopping board, roll and slice as thinly as you can.
In the remaining oil, sauté the garlic, turmeric and chili for about 30 seconds. Add the onion and cook for another 30 seconds. Add the shrimps. Season with a tablespoonful of <em>patis</em>. When the shrimps change color, remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl. Keep hot.
Add the Baguio beans to the oil and cook for about a minute. Add the mashed rice, pour in the coconut cream and stir fry until the rice is heated through. Add the shrimp mixture, season with more fish sauce and cook until well-blended. Turn off the heat, add the sliced onion leaves and sliced egg, toss a few times and serve at once.