There’s this spinach and tofu dish we had at Miyabi a couple of months ago that I’ve been itching to replicate at home. One time, I had spinach in the fridge but no tofu. Then, I saw a recipe for fried eggs and wilted greens in a blog that focuses on the South Beach diet and I decided to do my spinach dish with eggs instead of tofu. The result was a very tasty and filling wilted spinach and egg.
For Asians, all the ingredients are pantry staples. For non-Asians, sesame seed oil and soy sauce shouldn’t be unfamiliar at all. But black vinegar?
Black vinegar is Chinese in origin. There are two kinds — the black vinegar from southern China and the black vinegar from central China. Both have smoky flavor but the kind from central China has a stronger taste.
If unavailable, balsamic vinegar is a good substitute. The dish won’t be the same but it will still be good albeit with a different flavor.
What about rice wine? If unavailable, what would be a passable substitute. Some Westerners say sherry is an okay substitute.
When you have all the ingredients, you can cook wilted spinach and fried egg. It’s so easy and so fast!
Just heat the soy sauce, black vinegar, rice wine and ginger.
Add the spinach and cook until wilted.
Add the egg. Drizzle in more soy sauce and sesame seed oil, and enjoy!
- a generous handful of baby spinach washed and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 fried egg
- drizzle of light soy sauce and sesame seed oil
- In a small pan, heat the soy sauce, black vinegar and rice wine. Stir in the ginger.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, add the spinach. Cook over high heat, uncovered (the spinach will expel water and you want to let as much of the water to evaporate) until the spinach wilts, about five minutes.
- Transfer the spinach and liquid into a shallow bowl, top with the fried egg and drizzle with light soy sauce and sesame seed oil. Enjoy the wilted spinach and egg while hot.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.