Sam’s very late lunch yesterday. I stuffed a huge green bell pepper with a mixture of cooked rice, mushrooms, chopped onion, minced garlic, paprika, grated cheese and parsley, put the pepper in the oven then smothered it with homemade tomato sauce. To finish it off, more grated cheese and chopped parsley. I did the plating very carefully because Sam was going to shoot the dish as part of her portfolio.
She did a wonderful job especially considering that the sun was almost down when she took these shots and she was relying heavily on homemade reflectors. I love how she utilizes backlight and props. It’s a trick I’m trying to learn. I watch her when she works because I learn a lot. The most important lesson from yesterday’s photo shoot? Sometimes, two reflectors work better than one. The second most important lesson: props should say something about the dish instead of being merely ornamental.
- 1 large bell pepper (capsicum)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup cold cooked rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- chopped mushrooms as much as you like
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese plus more to garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley plus more to garnish
- chunky tomato sauce
Preheat the oven to 375F.
Cut off the top of the bell pepper.
Using a spoon, scoop out the white membranes inside the bell pepper. Brush inside and out with olive oil. Sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper.
Mix together the rice, onion, garlic, paprika, mushrooms, cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the rice mixture into the cavity of the bell pepper.
Place the bell pepper on an oven-proof dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 375F for about 15 minutes.
Spoon the chunky tomato sauce around the bell pepper to form a shallow pool. Drizzle some on top.
Sprinkle the stuffed bell pepper with more grated cheese and parsley. Serve.
Get the recipe for homemade tomato sauce.
More stuffed vegetable recipes:
- Cheese-topped bell peppers a la chili relleno
- Stuffed zucchini (with chicken)
- Vegetarian stuffed zucchini
- Vegetarian baked stuffed potatoes
- Baked potatoes with broccoli and cheese stuffing
- Bean-stuffed bell peppers