So filling. So delicious. The stuffing is a mixture of kidney beans, chili, chopped tomatoes, onions and bell peppers, seasoned with salt, pepper, lemon juice and tossed with a little melted butter. The cheese can be any variety that melts well.
Note, though, that the amount of salt needed to season the filling well is proportional to the saltiness of the cheese. If using a very salty cheese, add less salt to the filling.
These baked stuffed potatoes are best served hot while the cheese is soft. Not straight out of the oven though as that would be mouth-scorching hot. Wait five minutes after they come out of the oven and enjoy.
Vegetarian Baked Stuffed PotatoesPrint Pin
- 4 medium potatoes non-waxy varieties are best
- olive oil
- 1/2 cup cooked beans kidney, white, pinto… they will all be good, drained well
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 bird’s eye chili finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons melted butter
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- juice of a lemon quarter
- 8 slices of cheese any variety that melts well
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Scrub and rinse the potatoes. Split in half vertically and cook in boiling salted water for about 10 minutes, or just long enough to soften the centers sufficiently to make scooping them out easy. Take the potatoes out of the hot water and dump in a bowl of iced water. Drain well.
- Scoop out the centers, leaving about a third of an inch attached to the skin.
- Toss the potato halves with enough olive oil to coat every inch of the surface, including the skins.
- Arrange the potato halves, skin side down, on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until the flesh is puffed and the edges are starting to brown.
- While the potatoes bake, prepare the stuffing by tossing together the beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, chili, melted butter, salt, pepper and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven but do not turn the oven off. Turn up the heat to 400F.
- Divide the stuffing into eight equal portions and spoon into the hollow centers of the potato halves. Drizzle in any melted butter that remains in the bowl.
- Top each potato half with a slice of cheese.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or just until the cheese melts and the stuffing is heated through.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley before serving.