Julienne a chayote, carrot and bell pepper, slice some mushrooms and stir fry them in hot oil. Pour in sauce, cook a few minutes and you’ve a delicious vegan mushrooms and chayote stir fry!
Sounds easy? It is easy! Prep time is 10 minutes and cook time is another 10 minutes. I served this as a second dish to accompany our oyakodon lunch and as a main dish for vegetarian (and occasional pescatarian) Sam. And, to go with everything, a miso soup with white asparagus and spinach the recipe for which I have yet to post.
Okay, it’s easy. But is it good? Well, Speedy the carnivore ate more vegan mushrooms and chayote stir fry than oyakodon. If that’s not an endorsement, what is?
Is it normal in our household to have a soup, vegetable and meat dish for every meal? Hell, no. This meal was an exception. It’s still February but there were a couple of days the past week when it was like summer. I panicked. Not wanting to cook in a hot kitchen for lunch and dinner on hot days, I cooked three dishes for lunch to last us the whole day. Eat half of everything for lunch; eat the rest for dinner. If more than half got consumed for lunch, leftovers could be supplemented with sandwiches.
So, there. Don’t think that I prepare a three-course meal twice a day. Oh, no. I am not a Stepford wife. The normal scenario is one dish with rice or bread for every meal.
Vegan Mushrooms and Chayote Stir FryPrint Pin
- 1 large chayote
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 large bell pepper
- 2 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 half-inch knob ginger
- 6 button mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 splash rice wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- juice of a 1/4 lemon
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch or corn starch
- sliced scallions to garnish
- fried garlic to garnish
- Peel and core the chayote, then julienne (see tips).
- Peel the carrot and julienne.
- Deseed the bell pepper and julienne.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Peel and grate the ginger.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan.
- Saute the shallots, garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the chayote, carrot, bell pepper and mushrooms. Sprinkle in the salt and pepper. Stir fry (see stir frying basics) for one minute.
- Sprinkle in the sugar and add the rice wine. Stir fry for two to three minutes or until the vegetables are just beginning to get tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, lemon juice and starch with half a cup of water. Pour into the vegetables in the pan. Continue stir frying until the sauce is thick and clear. Cook a minute or two longer to make sure that the starch leaves no powdery sensation in the mouth.
- Serve the vegan mushrooms and chayote stir fry topped with sliced scallions and fried garlic. Serve over rice or toss with cooked noodles.