I was on Twitter last night and there was a post by I-forgot-who with a link to a waffle photo that I wanted to eat off my monitor. The waffle was topped with slices of fresh bananas and smothered with maple-peanut butter sauce.
When I woke up this morning (okay, more like noon), I told Speedy about the beautiful photo and I said I’d make waffles and the sauce later. With a twist though. Instead of maple syrup and peanut butter, I would combine toffee with peanut butter.
But Speedy had a different idea. Why not pour the sauce over turon? Oh, my goodness, I couldn’t wait for mid-afternoon when Speedy would make the turon. And when he did, it was with a new twist too. Instead of the usual saba banana filling, he combined saba banana slices with diced mangoes. Ooh la la.
For those unfamiliar with turon, it is a fried banana spring roll with very ripe saba bananas and brown sugar as filling. In this version, this turon (banana spring rolls) with toffee and peanut butter sauce, no brown sugar is added. Instead, the turon is served with the toffee-peanut butter sauce on the side.
Turon (banana spring rolls) with toffee and peanut butter sauce
- Make the toffee-peanut butter sauce.
- Place the sugar, honey and butter in a pan. Set over medium-high heat and cook until the sugar melts completely. Stir to make a smooth mixture. Add the peanut butter and pour in the cream. Stir to combine. Heat until bubbles form along the edges. Turn off the heat. Cool.
- Prepare the turon.
- Divide the bananas and diced mango among the six wrappers and wrap (see step-by-step guide on wrapping spring rolls).
- Spoon the cooled toffee-peanut butter sauce into small bowls.
- Heat the vegetable oil and fry the spring rolls until golden brown.
- Arrange the turon on plates with the bowl of dipping sauce on the side.
- Dip the turon in the sauce. Bite. Chew. Sit back. Delight in the crunch of the spring roll wrapper and the mushy sweetness inside. Savor the wonderful smoothness of the sauce with the occasional pieces of peanuts. Repeat. And so on, and so forth…