Earlier, in the cooking with leftover turkey entry, I showed you two ways to make good use of scrap turkey meat left over from the holidays. Here’s a third way — a turkey, potato and walnut salad. But there’s really more to this recipe than the intention not to be wasteful. I’m actually training myself to like raw vegetables.
I’m Asian and raw vegetable salads aren’t an Asian thing. I grew up with cooked vegetables in my soup, in stews, in sautéed dishes and in stir fries. But, you know, even as early as grade school I already learned that by cooking vegetables, much of the nutrients are lost. In fact, I’ve trained myself to wash vegetables before cutting them because washing after cutting means you lose nutrients unnecessarily. I’m still Asian and I always will be and I’ll probably always cook my vegetables 90% of the time. But it won’t hurt to add raw vegetables to my favorite dishes once in a while, will it? You still can’t make me eat celery and carrot sticks but I’m learning to love sliced raw celery stalks in my potato salad.
Turkey, potato and walnut salad
- Place the potato cubes, turkey, carrot, pickle relish, celery and crushed pineapples in a large mixing bowl. Toss lightly but thoroughly to distribute the ingredients well.
- Add about half a cup of mayonnaise and toss until every piece of solid is coated with mayo. If the salad appears too dry, add more mayo, a couple of tablespoonfuls at a time.
- Now, the seasonings. Since the potatoes were cooked in salted water, start seasoning by not adding any salt at all but only some ground white pepper. The sugar may not be necessary if you’re using sweet pineapples. Stir everything thoroughly.
- Taste. Add salt and sugar, if needed, and stir again.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and chill for at least an hour. This will allow the potatoes and the turkey to absorb the mayo. Chances are you will need to add more mayo after an hour. This is also the best time to taste the salad to determine if you need to add more salt or sugar or pepper, or all of them. So, adjust the seasonings, add more mayo, toss well, re-cover and chill until ready to serve.
- Serve the turkey, potato and walnut salad on a bed of lettuce sprinkled with parmesan cheese.