If you’re a long time reader, you’d know that this is the time of the year when I post quite a number of recipes for dishes using leftovers. To kick off the leftover festival, here is a creamy and cheesy casserole made with leftover turkey and duck, and thinly sliced potatoes.
The turkey meat is from the roast turkey that we served at a potluck party on December 27; the duck meat is from the roast duck that we had for lunch on December 31. With lots of help from my daughter, Alex, and a mandolin slicer which she enjoyed using, the leftovers were transformed into a delicious dinner.
Now, I can’t give you specific measurements. I had about four cups of chopped turkey and duck meat and I eyeballed the rest of the ingredients based on the amount of meat I had. So, let me just describe how Alex and I made the casserole.
The turkey and duck meat were sautéed in butter with lots of onions.
Salt and pepper were added.
The potatoes were washed, scrubbed and thinly sliced.
A baking dish was generously buttered.
The bottom of the baking dish was lined with sliced potatoes which were sprinkled lightly with salt and pepper.
The sautéed turkey and duck meat were spread over the potatoes.
And another layer of potatoes went over the meat.
Another sprinkling of salt and pepper, plus some parsley flakes.
Cream was poured into the baking dish, covering the top layer of potatoes entirely. Pieces of butter was thrown in.
Then, the cheese. We have so much cheese in the house because so many supermarkets were selling them at half price and Alex and I couldn’t resist. These cheese slices were individually wrapped as they were meant for sandwiches. You can use any cheese that you like. Just grate or crumble and smother on top.
After 30 minutes in a preheated 375F oven, the casserole was done. The potatoes were just lightly crunchy.
How did it taste? Delicious. Loved by my daughters. And by their father too.
Turkey, Duck and Potato BakePrint Pin
- 1/4 cup butter plus more for greasing the pan
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 6 cups cooked turkey / duck shredded
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 large potatoes thinly sliced
- parsley flakes
- 2 cups cream
- cheese any kind
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Saute the onions until softened.
- Add the shredded duck / turkey meat. Cook until heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 3-qt baking dish.
- Arrange half of the potatoes on the bottom of the baking dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spread the duck / turkey mixture on top of the potatoes.
- Arrange the remaining half of potatoes over the meat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parsley flakes.
- Pour the cream evenly over the contents of the dish.
- Top everything with cheese. Sliced or shredded. It doesn't matter.
- Bake in a preheated 375F oven for 30 minutes.
- Cut the turkey, duck and potato bake, and serve.