While waiting for the pork shoulder to thaw, I made these crisp and tasty tuna and corn fritters for our snack. Or, perhaps, you can consider it a late breakfast. It was after 10.00 a.m., I didn’t expect the pork to thaw completely until around 1.00 p.m., and these fritters were just right to keep us full and satisfied until the pork could be cooked.
This is a very simple recipe, the main ingredients are pantry items (i.e., canned), preparation consists of no more than mixing and the cooking method is painless pan-frying.
I won’t go by the size of the can of tuna because although can sizes may be the same, the amount of content varies. Even the net weight can be misleading as some brands contain more water / oil than fish.
Tuna and corn frittersPrint Pin
- 3/4 cup drained canned tuna (in water, brine or oil but no added flavors)
- 1/2 cup drained canned corn kernels
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon chopped tarragon
- 1 egg
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (not extra virgin), for frying
- In a bowl, mix together the drained tuna, corn, 1/2 c. of panko, tarragon, egg, salt and pepper.
- Leave for about 10 minutes to allow the panko to absorb any liquid from the tuna and corn.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form mounds of the tuna-corn mixture. I came up with six; you’ll have more or less, depending on the size of your ice cream scoop.
- Flatten the mounds with your fingers.
- Take the remaining panko and sprinkle on top of the patties, pressing the crumbs into the patties.
- Use a spatula to turn the patties over. Sprinkle the other side with panko, again, pressing the crumbs into the patties.
- Heat two tablespoonfuls of olive oil in a non-stick pan. What’s the oil for is using non-stick pan anyway? Because the panko will not turn crisp without the oil.
- Over medium heat, pan fry the patties, two to three at a time until golden brown. Flip to brown the underside too.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Pour the remaining olive oil into the pan. Fry the rest of the patties.
- Serve the tuna and corn fritters while hot and crisp.