Think BLT but, instead of bacon, it’s tripe so tender it almost melts in the mouth. And, seasoned with lemon juice and finely sliced chilies, the gamut of flavors and textures explode like New Year’s eve firecrackers. So delicious. So unique. Speedy’s idea. Only a true-blue carnivore could dream up of a sandwich like this.
The tripe in my tripe, lettuce and tomato sandwich was cooked for ten hours in a slow cooker with a whole garlic, a whole onion, salt, a teaspoonful of peppercorns and a bay leaf — two hours on high then eight hours on low. Overnight, literally. I could have used the pressure cooker but the texture of tripe is so much better when slow cooked. So, into the slow cooker the tripe went.
Then, the tripe was drained, cooled, chilled and thinly sliced.
The strips of tripe were pan fried until lightly browned.
And, yes, a lot of garlic, ginger and chili — plus a generous douse of lemon juice — were added to give the tripe a Vietnamese flavor.
After that, it was just a matter of assembly.
Tripe, Lettuce and Tomato SandwichPrint Pin
- 1 and 1/2 cups ox tripe cooked, cooled and chilled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 finger chili finely sliced
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- juice of half a lemon
- your choice of bread
- cheese slices
- tomatoes thinly sliced
- Scrape off any hardened fat on the tripe then slice into thin strips.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Add the tripe. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned.
- Add the onion, garlic and chili slices. Stir and cook for a few seconds then turn off the heat.
- Squeeze the lemon juice onto the browned tripe. Stir a few times.
- Assemble your sandwiches.
- Spread the bread with mayo. Cover the bottom half or slice with lettuce leaves. Add cheese. Pile on the trips. Top with tomato slices. Cover with the top half or slice of bread. Enjoy your tripe, lettuce and tomato sandwich.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.