There’s tres leches cake, tres leches cupcakes and, now, here comes tres leches coffee. Is this a beverage or a dessert? You can treat it as both. The amount of chocolate in this drink makes it so rich and indulgent that you won’t be asking for a dessert that you can chew.
I didn’t have this for dessert though. I made it to pamper myself and enjoy a little “alone time“. The sun was about to set, I had cleaned up and cleared the kitchen of everything that ants could reach, and… I wanted to relax. Not just sit down but sit down with something special. I earned it. It’s been a sweltering summer day and I craved indulgence. I wanted to sit in the garden and sip my tres leches coffee while watching the sun sink down the horizon. It takes about seven minutes for the sun to set in the tropics at this time of the year—just enough time to enjoy my drink.
But… tres leches? Yes, literally, three milks—sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk and cream.
Is tres leches coffee served hot or cold? Hot. Otherwise, the chocolate will seize, you won’t be able to stir it into the coffee and that won’t give you the best experience.
Tres Leches Coffee. With A Healthy Dose of Chocolate.Print Pin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup (I used Ghirardelli)
- 3/4 cup freshly brewed VERY STRONG and VERY HOT coffee
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 to 4 tablespoons lightly whipped cream
- dark chocolate bits (optional)
- Holding the glass at a 45-degree angle with one hand, pour the chocolate syrup down the sides of the glass. Let the chocolate syrup touch the glass near the mouth then slowly turn the glass around so that you have chocolate syrup running down the glass from every angle.
- Pour in the sweetened condensed milk, hot coffee and evaporated milk. I did it in that order but the order is entirely interchangeable.
- Spoon the lightly whipped cream on top of the drink.
- Optionally, sprinkle with dark chocolate bits before stirring and enjoying your tres leches coffee.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.