In my tortang tilapia entry, reader Felixberto commented, “I’ve been making torta using ligo sardines. Haven’t tried tilapia, With sardines, my torta crumbles… I was wondering, should I put in the veggies first before the fish?” And my response was, “…perhaps the best way is to mix the cooked veggies with the beaten eggs, pour them in the pan, then add the sardines when the eggs are partially set.” I said “perhaps” in my response because it was a theory. I’ve never cooked torta using canned sardines. So, I wanted to put my theory to the test. Guess what? It worked. :)
While I put the finishing touches on the first issue of the re-launched newsletter — I am so thrilled that 112 people have signed up since I posted the entry on February 1st — let me tell you about my tortang sardinas at togue (canned sardines and mongo sprout frittata).
The torta was cooked twice — first on the stove top then in the oven — in a small stainless steel frying pan. You can cook this on the stove top using a non-stick pan. My reason for cooking it in the oven was to brown the top. For some tips on cooking torta in the oven, you may refer to an earlier entry.
Tortang sardinas at togue (canned sardines and mongo sprout frittata)
- I will start by referring you once again to an earlier entry. I urge you to read it first so you won’t post comments later on that your torta stuck to the bottom of the pan and got ruined as you tried to slide it onto a serving platter.
- Open up each fish and cut into half lengthwise. Set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil. Saute the garlic, onion and tomatoes for about 30 seconds. Add the togue and cook, stirring, for about 15 seconds. Do not overcook the togue at this point. You don’t want it to expel water — you want it to retain its crisp texture. Turn the heat to low.
- Stir the vegetables into the beaten eggs and season with salt and pepper. Pour back into the pan. Arrange the sardines on top, pushing them down lightly. Cook for a minute or just until the eggs start to set. Transfer to a preheated oven (180C, top heat only) and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the eggs are fully set and the top is lightly browned.
- Serve your torta with sweet chili sauce and have a nice meal.