A whole cake of firm tofu is sliced into three portions then fried until golden and crisp. A Chinese broccoli stir fry seasoned with vegetarian oyster sauce (made with oyster mushrooms) is prepared separately. The dish is assembled with the tofu smothered with the saucy stir fry. As a final touch, a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. Delicious. Ready in 20 minutes, including preparation time.
- 350 grams firm tofu
- vegetable cooking oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- a generous bunch of Chinese broccoli cut into 1-inch lengths, stalks and leaves separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (like I said earlier, it’s made with oyster mushrooms)
- a splash of sweet rice wine
- 1 teaspoon tapioca (or potato or corn) starch, dispersed in 1/4 c. of water
- a drizzle of sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
Place the tofu between two kitchen towels and press down lightly to remove excess water. Cut horizontally into three portions. Season with salt and pepper.
In a wide frying pan, heat enough vegetable cooking oil to reach a depth of one inch. Fry the tofu (side by side; do not overlap) on both sides until golden and crisp, about three minutes per side.
While the tofu cooks, make the stir fry. In a sauté pan, heat a tablespoonful of cooking oil.
Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the Chinese broccoli stems to the pan, stir, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for half a minute.
Pour in a generous splash rice wine. Allow to cook until the liquid has reduced to almost nothing.
Add the rest of the Chinese broccoli. Stir fry until limp.
Stir in the vegetarian oyster sauce and sesame seed oil to the starch solution. Pour into the pan. Stir quickly. Cook until the sauce is thick and clear.
Place a tofu steak on a plate, top with a third of the Chinese broccoli stir fry. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Do the same for the remaining tofu steak and stir fry.