A whole cake of firm tofu is sliced into three portions then fried until golden and crisp. A Chinese broccoli stir fry seasoned with vegetarian oyster sauce (made with oyster mushrooms) is prepared separately. The dish is assembled with the tofu smothered with the saucy stir fry. As a final touch, a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds. Delicious. Ready in 20 minutes, including preparation time.
Tofu steaks with Chinese broccoli in mushroom saucePrint Pin
- 350 grams firm tofu
- vegetable cooking oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 onion chopped
- a generous bunch of Chinese broccoli cut into 1-inch lengths, stalks and leaves separated
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce (like I said earlier, it’s made with oyster mushrooms)
- a splash of sweet rice wine
- 1 teaspoon tapioca (or potato or corn) starch, dispersed in 1/4 c. of water
- a drizzle of sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds toasted
- Place the tofu between two kitchen towels and press down lightly to remove excess water. Cut horizontally into three portions. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a wide frying pan, heat enough vegetable cooking oil to reach a depth of one inch. Fry the tofu (side by side; do not overlap) on both sides until golden and crisp, about three minutes per side.
- While the tofu cooks, make the stir fry. In a sauté pan, heat a tablespoonful of cooking oil.
- Saute the onion and garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the Chinese broccoli stems to the pan, stir, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook for half a minute.
- Pour in a generous splash rice wine. Allow to cook until the liquid has reduced to almost nothing.
- Add the rest of the Chinese broccoli. Stir fry until limp.
- Stir in the vegetarian oyster sauce and sesame seed oil to the starch solution. Pour into the pan. Stir quickly. Cook until the sauce is thick and clear.
- Place a tofu steak on a plate, top with a third of the Chinese broccoli stir fry. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. Do the same for the remaining tofu steak and stir fry.