Feeling like going meatless for dinner? Try tofu in oyster sauce. With its thick sauce, rich flavor and the aroma of sesame seed oil, you won’t miss your meat.
Firm or semi-firm tofu is best for this dish so that you can pan fry it directly. If you use a soft variety like silken tofu, there are a few extra steps—like pressing excess water from the tofu and flouring it—to make the tofu easier to handle and to make sure that it will form a light crisp crust.
This tofu in oyster sauce is not vegan, is it? No, because of the oyster sauce. But this can be transformed into a vegan dish by simply substituting vegetarian oyster sauce which is made from oyster mushrooms.
Below, a video of my daughter Sam’s version of tofu in oyster sauce.
Tofu in oyster sauce
- 300 grams firm or semi-firm tofu cut into 2″ x 2″ cubes
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (for vegans, there are vegetarian oyster sauces)
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- sliced scallions to garnish
- Cut the tofu into two-inch cubes.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan. Spread the tofu cubes in a single layer and fry until the undersides are golden and crisp. Flip to brown the opposite side. Scoop out and set aside.
- Pour off the oil leaving only about a tablespoonful.
- Reheat the oil. Saute the garlic and ginger until fragrant.
- In a small bowl, mix together the oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and broth. Pour into the pan and cook, stirring, until thick and clear (that is, no longer cloudy).
- Add the fried tofu to the sauce. Stir. Continue cooking until the tofu cubes are heated through.
- Taste the sauce and adjust the seasonings, as needed.
- Off the heat drizzle in the sesame seed oil and toss to blend.
- Serve the tofu in oyster sauce sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds and garnished with sliced scallions.