My body clock has changed. I used to write all night and sleep all morning. But over the last couple of months, I found myself out of bed between 9.00 and 10.00 a.m. more and more often.
As a consequence, my eating habits have somewhat changed too. Most mornings, I need only coffee to get me going. Other times, my body demands real food. This morning, after two cups of coffee, I still couldn’t write a decent paragraph. That was how I knew it was going to be one of those I-need-breakfast days.
Grocery-bought hash brown patties were combined with tomato, onion and eggs to make this delicious breakfast dish.
Baked hash browns and eggsPrint Pin
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large frozen hash brown patties or 2 small (do not thaw)
- 1 large large plump tomato
- 1 onion
- drizzle olive oil
- 2 eggs
- grated cheese to garnish
- chopped parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven (a turbo broiler works well too) to 400F.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan. Fry the hash browns on both sides just until lightly crisp.
- Cut the hash browns into 6 to 8 squares. Set aside.
- Halve the tomato. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Dice the flesh.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Smear the bottom of an oven-proof plate with olive oil.
- Scatter the hash browns, diced tomatoes and sliced onion around the plate leaving the center free.
- Crack two eggs directly onto the center of the plate.
- Sprinkle everything with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400F for five to seven minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your specifications.
- Sprinkle grated cheese and chopped parsley over the eggs, hash browns and veggies. Serve at once.