Tilapia with Kalamansi Sauce
For the sauce
- ¼ cup kalamansi juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 pinches turmeric powder
For the garnish
- 1 red finger chili - finely sliced
- 3 stalks onion leaves - cut into 2-inch lengths and finely sliced vertically
- Score the tilapia diagonally across the back, on both sides, then rub all over with salt, including inside the cuts where the fish has been scored.
- Pour the kalamansi juice into a pan. Add the sugar. Set over high heat and wait for the sugar to start caramelizing. DO NOT stir to avoid the formation of crystals. You may, however, swirl the pan.
- When the sugar has melted, add the salt and turmeric powder, lower the heat to medium and continue boiling gently until thickened. Do not allow the sauce to thicken so much as it thickens some more as it cools.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least three inches.
- Sprinkle the tilapia with starch and slide into the hot oil. Flip halfway through for even cooking and browning.
- When the fish is done, transfer to a serving platter.
- Scatter the sliced chili and onion leaves on top.
- Pour the sauce directly over the chili slices and onion leaves.
- Serve the tilapia with kalalamsi sauce and chili at once.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.