A play on the rice dish that Filipinos call arroz a la Cubana, these tacos are filled with beef and sausage stew, raw onions, cucumbers and tomatoes, and ripe mangoes. On the side, a fried egg, sunny side up, and slices of golden saba bananas.
We had this for our late lunch while watching the second day of the impeachment trial.The ground beef and sausage stew is actually just leftover pasta sauce. I made a tomato-based spaghetti dish for Alex over the weekend (she is such a pasta lover!), there was more sauce than noodles, I kept the sauce in the fridge and just some of it reheated it for today’s lunch. There is still enough so that Alex can have pasta again this coming weekend.
Tacos a la CubanaPrint Pin
For the ground beef and sausage stew:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 500 grams ground beef
- 300 grams Hungarian sausage (or other spicy sausage), sliced thinly
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 tomatoes chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh oregano or about 1 teaspoon of dried
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- sugar to taste
For the tacos:
- 4 six-inch flour tortillas (or two larger ones)
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage or lettuce
- 1 cucumber seeded then cut into half-inch cubes (or smaller)
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 2 tomatoes seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 ripe mango flesh cut into half-inch cubes (or smaller)
- 2 eggs fried sunny side up
- 4 to 5 saba bananas split vertically and pan-fried until golden
- Make the stew. Heat the olive oil in a pot. Add the ground beef and cook until lightly browned, breaking up visible clumps.
- Add the sausage slices, oregano, tomatoes and onion. Cook until the vegetables start to soften.
- Pour in the can of stewed tomatoes, breaking up the tomatoes with your hand.
- Season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer until very, very chunky (about 40 to 45 minutes).
- When the stew is done, assemble the tacos.
- Heat the tortillas in an oil free pan.
- Lay two tortillas on a plate. Top with cabbage (or lettuce), the stew, the vegetables and mangoes. Arrange a few slices of saba bananas and a fried egg on the side. Serve.