Subtly seasoned with sambal, galangal and Pad Thai sauce, this sweet spicy shrimp broccoli stir fry cooks in three minutes.
Seriously, the preparation time is longer that the cooking time. But what’s with the combination of sambal, galangal and Pad Thai sauce?
About a month ago, on the same day that I bought the bottle of Kecap Manis, I also bought a jar of crushed galangal, Sambal Bangkok, Pad Thai sauce and a huge bottle of authentic Xiaoxing wine. The crushed galangal, I knew went into many Indian dishes. The Xiaoxing wine was something I had been searching for for a long time. Sambal Bangkok looked like chili sauce but I was intrigued as to whether it would be different from local chili sauce. I had no idea what Pad Thai sauce was but it looked pretty interesting. So, I bought them all at the same time.
It was only this morning that I finally opened the Sambal Bangkok and the Pad Thai sauce.
Sambal Bangkok is a hot sauce, alright. The difference is that it contains fruit juice. Pad Thai sauce turned out to be sweet and sour sauce BUT the souring agent is tamarind. I used both, and the crushed galangal, for the shrimps and vegetables dish that went into the girls’ school lunch boxes.
Although I don’t touch crustaceans, I know that the thing about shrimps and prawns is that you don’t really want to overpower their natural flavors. You want to enhance those flavors rather than add seasonings that will compete with them.
Sweet Spicy Shrimp Broccoli Stir FryPrint Pin
- Peel and finely mince the garlic.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Cut the broccoli (and cauliflower, if using) into florets.
- Heat the cooking oil in a frying pan. Saute the garlic, onion and galangal for 30 seconds.
- Add the shrimps and the vegetables all together — they require roughly the same amount of cooking time. Season with salt. Stir fry two minutes.
- Add the sambal and Pad Thai sauce. Stir fry for another 30 seconds.
- Serve the sweet spicy shrimp broccoli stir fry at once.
- If packing in a lunchbox, cool before sealing.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.