When I was rummaging through the contents of the freezer to prepare lunch yesterday, I opened a gallon of ice cream thinking it had pieces of ice in it. To my surprise, there were about ten chicken wings in there. I thawed them, seasoned them, fried them then tossed them in a sweet soy sauce blend. The result was a spicier version of chicken nanban. I couldn’t decide what to call my new concoction, Speedy said I should just name it WTF Chicken but Alex had a more keyword-friendly idea—sweet soy sauce fried chicken.
The chicken wings were seasoned in three steps. First, after thawing, they were tossed in salt and pepper. Then, they were dredged in seasoned flour. Finally, the crispy fried chicken wings were tossed in the sweet soy sauce blend.
Sweet Soy Sauce Fried ChickenPrint Pin
- 10 chicken wings
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- cooking oil for deep frying
- snipped scallions to garnish
For the sweet soy sauce blend:
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce (I used Kikkoman)
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sweet rice wine
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towels. Cut to separate the drumettes from the wings (no need to discard the wing tips). Toss with one teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place in a resealable bag.
- Whisk together the flour, starch and remaining salt and pepper.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Mix together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- In a wok or frying pan, heat enough cooking oil to reach a depth of at least two inches.
- Dump the seasoned flour mixture into the resealable bag. Seal then shake thoroughly to coat all chicken pieces.
- Fry the chicken wings, in batches if necessary, until crispy and lightly browned. Depending on the size of the wings, this will take anywhere from eight to ten minutes.
- Scoop out the wings and keep hot.
- Pour off the cooking oil, leaving only a tablespoonful.
- Reheat the oil and stir fry the garlic and onion for about half a minute. Pour in the sauce. Stir and allow to boil gently for a minute. Turn off the heat.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and toss to coat each piece well.
- Serve the sweet soy sauce fried chicken at once.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.