Another Alex Veneracion creation. My daughter does not make vegetable salads that often but when she does, she goes all out. We call it sweet potatoes, pepper and habanero salad but it’s really so much more than that. Make a simple garden salad, add fried sweet potato cubes, slivers of bell pepper and chopped habanero. Toss together with your favorite dressing and sprinkle generously with grated Parmesan.
The result? You get the light crispness of raw vegetables, the creaminess of sweet potatoes, the beautiful aroma of the bell pepper and the heat from the habanero. With a salad as filling as this, you can serve it as main course to a vegetarian. For omnivores, serve it as a starter course or as a side salad to go with grilled meat. The salad is just awesome with lamb chops.
What makes this sweet potatoes, pepper and habanero salad such a wonderful gastronomic experience? It’s the combination of sweet and spicy. If you’ve never heard it before, something sweet cuts down the sharp heat from chilies. Together, they make a delightful union. And adding them to raw vegetables makes sure that your salad isn’t just a plate of spicy carbs.
If you’re looking for a salad that’s both pretty and delicious to serve over the holidays, look no farther.
Sweet Potatoes and Jalapeño SaladPrint Pin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 bell pepper cut into thin strips
- 1 habanero seeds removed then chopped
- 1 large head lettuce
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cucumber rings
- grated Parmesan
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Spread the sweet potato cubes in a single layer. Cook until the undersides are lightly browned then flip.
- Add the bell pepper strips, habanero, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and stir lightly. Cook until the opposite sides of the cubes sweet potatoes are browned. Transfer to a plate and cool.
- Rinse, spin dry and tear the lettuce. Toss with the diced tomatoes and cucumber rings. Add the cooled sweet potatoes, bell pepper and habanero.
- Drizzle in your salad dressing. Toss.
- Sprinkle in grated Parmesan. Serve.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.
If you’re serving your grilled meat with fried rice, add crushed salted egg chicharon to the rice for more flavor, color and texture.