The other day, while we were busy navigating (and getting lost in) the Quiapo area, we found ourselves in Quinta market and I saw mounds and mounds of beautiful sweet potatoes. We bought a bunch and, for yesterday’s late lunch, I made a salad with them. Who knew that sweet potatoes would make a good salad ingredient? A first time for me and because the result was a really fantastic salad, there will surely be a second and subsequent times. Speedy said we should try adding roasted cashew nuts next time. I prefer pili nuts but either sounds good.
This salad is ready in twenty minutes. No fuss. But this isn’t a raw vegetable salad — all the ingredients need to be cooked. But it’s all easy cooking, don’t worry.
Sweet potatoes and bacon salad with lime and honey dressingPrint Pin
- 2 cups sweet potatoes peeled, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 grams bacon diced
- 2 cups herbed croutons
- parsley snipped
For the lime and honey dressing
- juice of two limes
- enough extra virgin olive oil to equal the volume of lime juice
- honey to taste
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven (turbo broiler works too) to 375F.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the salt and olive oil. Spread in a baking pan and cook in the oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, heat a frying pan and cook the bacon in it until lightly crisp.
- If you don’t have prepared herbed croutons, you can throw in day-old bread in the rendered bacon fat, drizzle the bread with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and dried herbs, and make your herbed croutons right there.
- When the bacon and croutons are done, make the dressing. Just mix all the ingredients together.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, toss with the bacon, croutons and some parsley. Drizzle with the lime and honey dressing and serve.