If you’re not an accomplished baker wishing to create the holiday-perfect dessert, this strawberry panna cotta is for you. It’s indulgent, it can be plated to impress and both kids and adults will love it.
It’s just gelatin, really. But cook gelatin in cream and it becomes nothing like those multi-colored snacks that you can find in groceries. And when you add chopped fruit… Well, the magic is complete.
Where does this dessert get its name? Panna cotta is Italian for “cooked cream” so, as you may have guessed at this point, it is an Italian dessert.
Why would it be holiday-perfect? Panna cotta is easy to make and it can be prepared in advance. Pour into molds, invert onto dessert plates when needed then garnish with fruit.
And, if you’re on a budget, panna cotta can be inexpensive if you stay away from fancy add-ons like rum or other liqueurs.
In this strawberry panna cotta recipe, frozen strawberries were used (so much cheaper than fresh). And the garnish is simply canned strawberry pie filling.
- 2 90-gram boxes unflavored gelatin (sweetened)
- 2 cups heavy cream (no, those labeled “all purpose” won’t do at all
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chopped frozen strawberries (thaw to soften a bit before chopping)
- 1/2 can strawberry pie filling
- Prepare six single-serve molds or ramekins.
- Dump the gelatin into a medium-sized sauce pan. Add the cream and milk. Stir.
- Set the stove to LOW and heat the cream and milk, stirring, until the gelatin is dissolved. Note that there is no need to allow the milk and cream to reach simmering point. As soon as the gelatin granules are dissolved, pull the pan off the heat.
- Stir the chopped strawberries into the gelatin mixture.
- Pour the gelatin into the prepared molds.
- Cool the panna cotta then cover the molds or ramekins with cling film and chill until needed.
- To serve: invert the panna cotta on individual dessert plates. Spoon the strawberry pie filling over them. Serve immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.