The muffins are made with with a combination of all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour. The greens are spinach and scallions.
I used two kinds of cheese — cheddar for sharpness and pepper Jack for bite. You can always change the ratio of the two flours, you can use other green leafy vegetables and other kinds of cheese will work too. The only real point I wanted to make is that savory breakfast muffins can be meatless and still be delicious.
For details on blanching and squeezing excess water from spinach, click here.
Spinach, scallions, cheddar and pepper Jack breakfast muffinsPrint Pin
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup spinach finely chopped blanched and squeezed
- 3/4 cup finely sliced scallions
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 125 grams sharp cheddar cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 125 grams Pepper Jack cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup full-cream milk
- 2 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with paper cups.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Add the scallions and spinach. Cook, stirring, for about a minute. Cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the two flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda and sugar. Throw in the cubed cheeses and toss to coat each piece with flour.
- In another mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk.
- Take cooled spinach mixture and stir into the flour mixture. Make sure to scrape all the butter from the pan and into the flour.
- Pour the milk-egg mixture into the flour mixture and mix just until the dry ingredients are moistened, about 12 turns. Overmixing muffin batter results in tough muffins.
- Using an ice cream scoop, fill the muffin holes with the batter, about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350F for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted at the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for five minutes. Transfer to a rack.
- These muffins are best served while warm and the cheeses are still soft.
Other meatless savory muffin recipes in the archive:
- Herb and cheese muffins
- Onion and feta muffins
- 3-cheese mini corn muffins
- Breakfast muffins with broccoli, mozzarella and chilies
Happy birthday to Alex, my bunso!