I can hear the noise from firecracker explosions as I write this, and it isn’t even December 31 yet. On Facebook, author Geraldine Maayo posted about what she calls the impertinence of hospitals preparing for firecracker casualties when we should focus on banning firecrackers instead. I told her, tongue-in-cheek, that a lot of politicians, policemen and barangay officials will earn so much less (grease money) if firecrackers were successfully banned. Besides, the firecracker mentality of Filipinos has more to do with screwed machismo than any real desire to celebrate the New Year. In fact, the New Year is just an excuse to huff and puff as to who is macho enough to light the biggest explosives to set them apart from those they consider too chicken to do the same. I’ve said everything I have to say about the subject five years ago, nothing has changed so there’s really no need to rehash anything.
I’d rather write about food. This pair of spinach quesadillas was something I prepared for Sam a week ago. She loves creamed spinach and mozzarella so I combined the two to stuff two flour tortillas.
Spinach quesadillasPrint Pin
- 1/2 cup creamed spinach cooked until quite dry, then cooled
- 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded
- 2 flour tortillas
- This recipe presumes that you have already made creamed spinach (get the recipe). Just remember that you’re using it as a filling so cook until the mixture is quite dry. Otherwise, the liquid will soak the tortillas and turn them soggy.
- When the creamed spinach has cooled, add the mozzarella and stir to combine.
- Divide the spinach-mozzarella mixture into two equal portions.
- Take one portion and slather it on one side of the tortilla. Fold to close, pressing lightly. Repeat with the remaining filling and tortilla.
- Toast the quesadillas in a hot oil-free frying pan (see how to make crispy quesadillas in a frying pan), about a minute or two per side, or until the tortillas are lightly browned in spots and the mozzarella is melted and gooey.
- Cut each quesadilla in half and serve immediately.