One of my favorite ways of preparing spinach is by adding butter and cream to it. Creamed spinach, I call it. I was planning on making a huge batch the other day when I realized that we had run of of cream. I had already blanched the spinach and I was wondering what to do with it. Why not coconut cream or milk? Why not a paste that I can use with several dishes much like the Italians add pesto to a lot of things?
The spinach puree and coconut milk paste was so good and so versatile, and I added it to a soup, spring rolls and fish. Three dishes made extra tasty with the addition of the spinach and coconut milk paste.
Spinach puree and coconut milk pastePrint Pin
- Check the spinach for touch stalks. If there are any, remove them.
- Boil water in a large pot. Add the spinach and blanch for a minute or two or until wilted (see how to blanch). This is a large bunch of spinach so one minute in hot water should be considered a minimum.
- Drain the spinach, dump in a bowl of iced water or rinse under the tap. Squeeze to remove excess water (read detailed instructions).
- Roughly chop the spinach.
- Pour the coconut milk into the blender. Add the spinach. Process until smooth.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or shallow pan. Sweat the onion and garlic. Medium-low heat with occasional stirring until the onion bit are translucent.
- Pour in the spinach mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced. Pour in the coconut cream. Taste, adjust the seasonings if needed, and continue cooking until the mixture turns into a paste.
- Cool and keep in a covered container in the fridge. I used my puree within 24 hours. I’m not sure at this point how long it will stay good even with refrigeration.
Now, what dishes can you use the spinach puree and coconut milk paste with?
I made chili relleno spring rolls again.
This time, however, before stuffing the chilies with cheese, I spread the inside generously with the spinach and coconut milk paste.
Just follow the chili relleno spring rolls recipe with the addition of the spinach and coconut milk paste.
I also made a vegetable soup (pictured at the beginning of the post).
And a fish dish.
The recipes for the soup and fish dish, I’ll be posting next.