Double the recipe, or triple it even, to satisfy everyone because this side dish of spinach and mushrooms sautéed in garlic butter is so good everyone will be asking for more.
And just what makes it so good? Imagine this. You take a couple of cloves of garlic, peel them and slice them thinly. You melt butter in a pan and, over low heat, you cook the garlic until browned and lightly crisp. By the time the garlic slices get to that stage, much of the flavor will be in the butter.
Now you take your spinach and cook it in the garlic butter with a bit of salt and pepper. The spinach will expel water, of course, so just keep on cooking until most of the water has evaporated. The spinach will be cooked through at that point and glistening with garlic butter.
Time to add the sliced button mushrooms. Stir them in and sprinkle in more salt and pepper. Keep tossing the contents of the pan until the mushrooms are done.
Scoop the mushrooms and spinach into small bowls. Drizzle in the pan juices. Squirt in a bit of lime or lemon juice then take the golden garlic slices and scatter them on top.
How’s that for a quick and delicious side dish?
Spinach and Mushrooms Sautéed in Garlic ButterPrint Pin
- ¼ cup butter
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and thinly sliced
- 500 grams baby spinach rinsed well and roughly chopped
- 250 grams button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 lime or lemon cut into wedges
- Over medium-low heat, melt the butter in a frying pan.
- Add the garlic slices and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden and lightly crisp. Scoop out and set aside.
- Reheat the butter and toss in the spinach. Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until the spinach is wilted and much of the water it has expelled has evaporated.
- Add the mushroom slices. Sprinkle in more salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened.
- Taste the spinach and mushrooms. Add more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Divide the spinach and mushrooms among four small bowls. Spoon the remaining pan juices over the bowls evenly.
- Squeeze the juice from a wedge of lime or lemon directly over each bowl.
- Take the butter-fried garlic slices and scatter over the mushrooms and spinach.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.