And so this killer summer goes on. It’s a favorite topic everywhere we go and with everyone we talk to—the dentist, my in-laws… It may feel like a steam bath in the kitchen at noon but we still have to eat. Quick and easy dishes are the obvious choices. And this spicy ground pork, mushrooms and asparagus stir fry fits the bill perfectly. Five minutes to prepare and ten minutes to cook.
A tip for making meat and vegetable stir fries first. When the meat is seasoned with dark ingredients like soy sauce, how can the vegetables retain their colors and prevent them from soaking up the dark hues of the seasonings that went into the meat? Easy. Stir fry the vegetables ahead of the meat, remove them from the pan, cook the meat then toss in the vegetables when the meat is done and cook everything together just long enough to heat the vegetables through.
Spicy Ground Pork, Mushrooms and Asparagus Stir FryPrint Pin
For the meat component
- 250 grams ground pork with at least 20% fat
- 1 tablespoon black bean and garlic sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 tablespoon chili oil and garlic sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee)
- Place the ground pork in a bowl. Add the black bean sauce, chili oil and garlic sauce and hoisin sauce. Mix well. Set aside to marinate.
- Break off the tough portion of the stalk of the asparagus and discard. Cut the asparagus into two-inch lengths.
- Cut off the root ends of the shimeji mushrooms. Rinse, if needed, then dry in a salad spinner.
- Pound the garlic cloves, shake off the skins and discard.
- Peel the ginger and roughly chop.
- Mince the garlic and ginger together.
- Peel the shallot and thinly slice.
- Heat the cooking oil in a wok or frying pan. Saute the garlic-ginger mixture and shallots until aromatic, about one minute.
- Add the asparagus and mushrooms to the sauteed ingredients. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Stir fry for one to two minutes. Scoop out and transfer to a shallow bowl.
- To the remaining oil, add the ground pork. Stir to break up any lumps. Cook for about five to six minutes until done and the sauces have caramelized.
- Add the mushroom-asparagus mixture to the pork. Stir fry for half a minute. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve the spicy pork, mushrooms and asparagus stir fry at once.