The reason for yesterday’s post about Anthony Bourdain was to introduce the recipe for this sandwich: Speedy’s version of the three little pigs, the pride of the Silver Palm restaurant in Chicago. The sandwich gets its name from the three kinds of pork filling: smoked ham, breaded pork cutlet and bacon. The meat are piled on the bottom half of a bun, smothered with melted Gruyère cheese, topped with fried egg and served with French fries.
Speedy’s version uses pan fried SPAM, Italian garlic sausages and bacon — with slices of peppery cheese and raw vegetables, and served with homemade potato chips. Not for the faint of heart, literally and figuratively. But I am of the persuasion that it is worth trying anything at least once and Speedy’s three little pigs was quite an adventure. A seriously delicious adventure.
Speedy made a sandwich that was meant to serve two but it turned out to be large enough to serve three. He used a small loaf bread — a whole loaf split horizontally into halves — but you can use your preferred bread.
This is the cheese that Speedy used; you can substitute whatever you like.
And these are the three varieties of pork. Sausages, SPAM and bacon. All fried and nice and crispy.
The bread must be toasted. Otherwise, it will be too soft to hold all that filling.
Butter and mayo are spread on the bread for flavor and moisture.
Now, the layering begins. First, cheese slices.
Then, the fried slices of SPAM.
A modest mountain of bacon go on top of the SPAM.
Then, the veggies. Two kinds. Cucumbers…
… and tomatoes.
The split sausages go on top of the tomatoes.
Sliced raw onion go on top of the sausages.
And, the crowning glory… Fried eggs.
For a final touch… shredded lettuce.
Speedy's three little pigs sandwichPrint Pin
- a small loaf bread (or 2 buns or slices of crusty bread)
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 4 slices SPAM pan fried
- 4 to 6 slices bacon fried until crisp
- 2 sausages split vertically and pan fried
- 2 eggs fried sunny side up
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- few very thin slices of cucumber
- 2 large slices of cheese
- generous handful of torn or shredded lettuce leaves
- Toast the bread and brush with butter.
- Spread the mayo on both halves of the bread.
- Lay the cheese slices on the bottom half.
- Line up the fried SPAM slices on top of the cheese.
- Pile the bacon on top of the SPAM slices.
- Add a nice layer of cucumber slices followed by tomato slices.
- Then, add the sausages.
- Arrange the onion slices on top of the sausages.
- The eggs go on top of the onions followed by the lettuce.
- Cover the fillings with the top half of the bread and you have your three little pigs sandwich.
- If you used a bread that’s too large for one, cut into halves or thirds.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.