Have I mentioned that Speedy is a die-hard fan of SPAM? I’m sure I have. He’s getting really creative with his SPAM projects. Like this salad which has everything in it — meat, veggies and nuts! With the inclusion of a generous amount of tasty and aromatic herbed croutons, it was a very filling salad indeed.
Of course, if you don’t like SPAM, you can substitute cubes of smoky ham or even sausages. Cooked bacon will work well too. Same thing with the cashew nuts. You like walnuts or almonds better? Or, maybe, pine nuts? Use what you like and what you have. No need to go running to the market for cashew nuts. The point really is that nuts are such a wonderful addition to any vegetable salad. And remember to dry roast them first to cajole them into releasing their natural oil.
Speedy's lettuce, egg and cashew nut salad... with SPAM!
- Pan fry the SPAM cubes. If you use a non-stick pan, there is no need to add oil. Cook until lightly browned and crisp along the edges. Set aside and cool.
- Dry roast the cashew nuts in an oil free pan until lightly browned. Set aside and cool.
- Tear up the lettuce leaves.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion into rings.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges.
- Cut the eggs into eighths.
- Place all the ingredients, except the vinaigrette, into a large bowl.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad ingredients.
- Toss everything lightly and serve at once.