You know that TV show where Jamie Oliver cooks four-course meals in 30 minutes? When TLC announced it would start airing in May, I was a bit skeptical about the whole thing. Four-course meals in 30 minutes? You gotta be a magician to do that.
Then, I saw one episode and I was impressed. The trick is not to cook one dish after another but to have everything cooking at the same time. Three burners on plus the oven… with a lot of focus and some above-average knife skills, it can be done.
I put it in my agenda but Speedy beat me to it. Not exactly a four-course meal but just a main dish plus a vegetable side dish but he did both at the same time and lunch today was ready before I was fully out of bed.
Oven-grilled pork and a side dish of boiled asparagus drizzled with butter and sprinkled with fried garlic bits. Very nice. And very good looking.
Blanched asparagus with butter and garlicPrint Pin
- 200 grams baby asparagus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- In a wide pan, boil enough water to reach a depth of two inches. Sprinkle in the salt.
- When the water boils, spread the asparagus in it and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the asparagus and dump in a bowl of iced water to keep them crisp.
- In a small frying pan, melt the butter.
- Over medium heat, fry the garlic in the butter until browned and crisp.
- Arrange the asparagus on a plate. Pour the butter and garlic over them. Season with a little pepper.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.