You know that TV show where Jamie Oliver cooks four-course meals in 30 minutes? When TLC announced it would start airing in May, I was a bit skeptical about the whole thing. Four-course meals in 30 minutes? You gotta be a magician to do that.
Then, I saw one episode and I was impressed. The trick is not to cook one dish after another but to have everything cooking at the same time. Three burners on plus the oven… with a lot of focus and some above-average knife skills, it can be done.
I put it in my agenda but Speedy beat me to it. Not exactly a four-course meal but just a main dish plus a vegetable side dish but he did both at the same time and lunch today was ready before I was fully out of bed.
Oven-grilled pork and a side dish of boiled asparagus drizzled with butter and sprinkled with fried garlic bits. Very nice. And very good looking.
Blanched asparagus with butter and garlicPrint Pin
- 200 grams baby asparagus
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- In a wide pan, boil enough water to reach a depth of two inches. Sprinkle in the salt.
- When the water boils, spread the asparagus in it and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the asparagus and dump in a bowl of iced water to keep them crisp.
- In a small frying pan, melt the butter.
- Over medium heat, fry the garlic in the butter until browned and crisp.
- Arrange the asparagus on a plate. Pour the butter and garlic over them. Season with a little pepper.