Cans of SPAM are getting opened so frequently in our house these days that I’m worried people might start thinking I’m a spokesperson for SPAM. I’m not. We buy our SPAM from the supermarket; I don’t get freebies from the company. I’m not even a fan of SPAM (Speedy is) but what can I do while I wait for summer to end? This blistering summer heat makes me wilt in the kitchen and opening a can means I can whip up something in a few minutes. Like this SPAM pizza bread.
While there’s nothing like real pizza with homemade crust and homemade tomato sauce (see here, here and here), the thought of kneading dough and stirring tomatoes in a pot in this heat makes me want run back to the air-conditioned family room, watch the endless parade of food on Food Network in cool comfort and just lick the TV screen if my stomach growls too loudly from hunger. But since licking the TV screen won’t really fill the tummy, I made pizza bread. With another can of SPAM from Speedy’s stock.
This is the part where I start confessing about how I have stopped being such a food snob who won’t even touch canned meat. The heat combined with hunger made me re-assess my beliefs. The pizza bread was filling, it had fresh vegetables, it was surprisingly very tasty and it was ready in less than 10 minutes. Of course, Speedy loved it so very, very much. It’s comfort food in a way.
SPAM pizza breadPrint Pin
- 1 small loaf of bread split in half (baguettes will probably be better but we had none)
- 2 heaping tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 small onions thinly sliced into rings
- 1/3 can of SPAM (garlic flavored), cut into half-inch cubes
- lots of cheese (doesn’t really have to be mozzarella, any kind that melts fast would be good, but if you have mozzarella, use it)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Toast the bread. If you spread or add anything to it that has moisture, the bread will turn very, very soggy.
- Spread the sun-dried tomato pesto on the cut sides of both pieces of bread.
- Arrange the tomato slices on the bread, followed by onion rings. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the SPAM mini cubes over the tomatoes and onion rings.
- Top with cheese.
- Add more pepper if you like.
- Toast, bake or grill at a very high temperature (425F in a preheated oven or turbo broiler) for 3 to 4 minutes or just until the cheese melts and the SPAM cubes have rendered a little fat.