Alex is having a small sleepover. I made roast chicken and bihon guisado (a no-meat version, actually, to go with the chicken) for a late lunch and I thought the leftovers would be enough for dinner. But Alex was craving for pasta. Having been baking all afternoon, I wasn’t inclined to make something that would require a lot of prepping. I wanted to indulge her but the pasta had to be fast and simple. And nothing can be simpler than this.
Spaghetti with ham, veggies and white sauce in 20 minutes flat
- 120 grams spaghetti (or your preferred pasta shape)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium carrot cut into small cubes
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped ham
- 1/2 cup sweet peas
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- 125 grams cream cheese
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.
- While the spaghetti cooks, prepare the sauce.
- Heat the butter in a pan. Add the onion, carrot and ham. Cook until the carrot pieces are done.
- Add the peas. Pour in the milk.
- Cut (or tear) the cream cheese into tiny pieces and drop directly into the pan.
- Cook everything together with occasional stirring just until the sauce simmers and the cream cheese pieces are melted.
- Taste the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked spaghetti to the sauce and toss well.
- Serve the spaghetti with ham, veggies and white sauce at once.