The best ground meat for spaghetti a la Stroganoff is sausage meat. Buy sausages, peel off the skins, crumble the meat and fry in butter. Or you can create your own sausage meat by seasoning ground meat and letting it marinade in the fridge for a couple of hours. Season with what? The usual salt, pepper and a bit of sugar — and a good combination of spices and herbs.
Sour cream, an essential ingredient of stroganoff, may be substituted with yogurt for a low-fat version. If you’d rather have real cream but have no sour cream on hand, just add a tablespoonful of lime or lemon juice to a cup of cream.
Spaghetti a la StroganoffPrint Pin
- enough cooked spaghetti for two or other pasta shape
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 250 grams sausage meat or make your own — see notes after the recipe, crumbled
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced button mushrooms canned is okay
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
- Heat the butter in a frying pan. Add the crumbled sausage meat and cook over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- Add the chopped onion, mushrooms and tarragon. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Cook gently over medium heat until the onion pieces start to soften. You have the option of cooking the mixture until the onion bits and mushroom slices start to brown. I’d have done that if I had fresh mushrooms but I only had canned and canned mushrooms will never brown the way fresh will with careful cooking. So, there.
- Pour in the sour cream and cook just until bubbly.
- Toss in the cooked noodles and serve hot.