Lightly seasoned chicken wings are dredged in flour, deep fried then braised in a mixture of soy sauce and lemon juice. These soy lemon chicken wings are served garnished with lemon wedges and fried slices of garlic.
Think Filipino bistek. The basic flavors are the same but the textures are completely different. The flour coating of the chicken soaks up the sauce during braising making all those wonderful flavors stick to the meat so you don’t need any liquid in the dish to serve it. No soupy sauce. Extremely dressy. I won’t mind cooking a huge batch of soy lemon chicken wings for a party. Thinking of Christmas in July.
My idea executed by my daughter, Alex. What inspired the dish? Speedy’s craving, truth be told. We had plenty of chicken wings, he was dreaming of adobo but chicken wings aren’t exactly ideal for stewing. So why not combine the flavors and cooking techniques for fried chicken and bistek in a chicken wing dish?
Is this dish difficult to make? Heck no! Just check out the recipe to see how easy it is to cook soy lemon chicken wings.
Soy Lemon Chicken WingsPrint Pin
- 1 kilogram chicken wings
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- cooking oil for deep frying
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup light soy sauce
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- lemon wedges to serve
- fried garlic to serve
- chopped parsley to serve
- Pat the chicken wings dry. Cut each to separate the drumette (see guide for cutting chicken wings).
- Place the chicken in a mixing bowl. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well. Set aside.
- Start heating cooking oil in a fryer. For best results, the depth of the oil should be at least three inches.
- Sprinkle the flour over the chicken. Cover the bowl. Shake well to coat each piece of chicken with flour. Lift the chicken pieces one by one, shaking off any excess flour.
- Over high heat, fry the chicken wings just until a crust forms on the surface. The chicken wings need not be cooked through at this point; you are just searing them. If your fryer is rather small, do this in batches.
- Into a wide shallow pan, pour the soy sauce and lemon juice and heat to simmering.
- Spread the chicken wings in the sauce keeping them in a single layer.
- Over low heat with the pan covered, cook the chicken wings for about five minutes. Flip them over and cook for another five minutes.
- Arrange the chicken wings in a platter. Insert lemon wedges between them. Sprinkle the fried garlic slices all over them followed by some chopped parsley.
- Serve the soy lemon chicken wings with drinks or as main course with rice.