The recent Valentine’s Day was a new experience for me. In the past, Speedy gave us — me, Sam and Alex — chocolates but, this year, the girls had Valentine gifts for everyone too. So, that’s how it feels to have grown-up children… Like Donna Sheridan singing “Slipping Through My Fingers” in Mamma Mia!. I had to shut myself in the bathroom a couple of times so they wouldn’t see me getting overly-emotional over their food gifts (it feels foolish writing about it now) but when has emotion been subject to the rules of logic anyway? Not that my girls are flying the coop anytime soon but Valentine’s Day was a reminder to seize, enjoy and cherish every moment with them. I felt a little sheepish that I had nothing to hand to them but I did cook and I hope they enjoyed what they ate over the weekend.
Valentine’s Day is over and the next special occasion begins in a few hours. The Chinese New Year was declared a special non-working holiday this year and I hope that the girls can make it home soon. There will be fireworks galore at midnight (there’s a huge Filipino Chinese community in the Philippines and Manila’s Chinatown is the oldest in the world) and I hope that Speedy, Sam, Alex and I can watch the display together.
As I wait for the girls and for the fireworks to light up the sky, I wrote, I cooked, I took photos. I made this incredible meatball dish in the slow cooker (I really should use it more often). The long and slow cooking allowed the meatballs to soak up the sauce and the result was nothing short of incredible. By the time the meatballs were done, the centers were the color of Sriracha.
Slow cooker ginger-honey-Sriracha meatballs
- 500 grams ground pork (with a generous amount of fat)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup Sriracha
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- thinly sliced mint leaves to garnish
- toasted sesame seeds to garnish
- Mix together the ground pork, onion, garlic, salt and pepper. Form into three-inch meatballs.
- Stir together the Sriracha, honey, ginger and lemon juice.
- Cover the bottom of the slow cooker pot with non-stick paper. Arrange the meatballs in a single layer. Pour a tablespoon of sauce over each meatball. Drizzle the rest of sauce between them.
- Switch the slow cooker to HIGH. Cook the meatballs for three and a half hours.
- Use a spoon to transfer the meatballs to a platter or to individual plates. Drizzle the remaining sauce over them. Sprinkle with snipped mint leaves and toasted sesame seeds before serving.