The seafood version of my creamy lemon garlic chicken, this fast cooking shrimp broccoli pasta is eye candy with its burst of colors. But, over and beyond its visual appeal, the flavors are bright and refreshing with that delightful blend of citrusy tang and the richness of butter and cream.
Excluding preparation time, this shrimp broccoli pasta is ready in 15 minutes.
But… wait! There are a few tricks to remember to make sure that the shrimps and vegetables don’t get drowned out in the sauce.
First, season and cook the shrimps separately.
Second, blanch the broccoli and carrot slices, and refresh in iced water to make sure that they don’t turn soggy.
Third, by doing the first and second tips, the shrimps and vegetables retain their respective colors and textures better.
Shrimp Broccoli Pasta With Lemon Garlic Sauce
- 12 to 15 shrimps (300 to 400 grams total weight)
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 small carrot
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup full fat cream
- 2/3 cup full fat milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan plus more to garnish
- 2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- cooked spaghetti or your preferred pasta shape for three
- Clean, peel and devein the shrimps (see how). Toss with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Boil about four cups of water in a pot. Sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Trim the broccoli and cut into florets.
- Peel the carrot and cut into slices about an eighth of an inch thick.
- Prepare a large bowl of iced water.
- When the water in the pot is boiling, dump in the broccoli and carrot slices. Let boil for one to two minutes (mature vegetables take longer to cook).
- Scoop out the broccoli florets and carrot slices (a kitchen spider does the job well), drain then dump immediately into the iced water. Leave until cool then scoop out and drain. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a shallow pan. When hot, add the shrimps in a single layer and cook over medium-high heat. Cook for about 45 seconds, flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Never overcook shrimps. Scoop out the shrimps, move to bowl and keep warm.
- Add the minced garlic to the remaining butter. Cook gently over medium-low heat until the garlic is lightly browned and highly aromatic.
- Pour in the milk and cream. Stir in the Parmesan. Cook, stirring, just until bubbly. Turn off the heat. Stir in the lemon juice. Taste; add salt and pepper, as needed.
- Drain the spaghetti. Add to the sauce. Toss well. Add the cooked shrimps, broccoli and carrot slices. Toss a few more times.
- Sprinkle the shrimp broccoli pasta with more Parmesan before serving.