Speedy and the girls love shrimps and prawns so even if I can’t eat them (except for a bite here and there because of an allergy), I cook dishes with shrimps or prawns just for the three of them. On Friday evening, I made a pan of paella and, yesterday for lunch, this shrimps and broccoli stir fry. It was a joint effort, really, because Speedy was the one who peeled and deveined the shrimps. Cooking is faster when there’s division of labor and fast was the operative word yesterday because it was late and the girls would soon be demanding lunch.
When preparing broccoli for a stir fry, it is best to blanch the florets first then shock them in iced water. That way, they are cooked through but still crisp and they retain their bright green color too. That was what I did while Speedy was preparing the shrimps. By the time we were both done, it took just a few minutes to stir fry everything. Taking photos took longer, believe me, because I couldn’t find the right plate that would set off the orange shrimps and green broccoli best.
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili oil - (available in supermarkets) or a couple of finely sliced bird’s eye chilis
- salt - to taste
- sugar - to taste
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch - or corn starch
- 1 drizzle sesame seed oil
- 1 head broccoli - trimmed and broken into florets
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger - grated
- 250 grams shrimps - large, shelled and de-veined
- Make the sauce by stirring together one-third cup of water, the oyster sauce, chili oil, salt, sugar, starch and sesame seed oil. Set aside.
- Pre-cook the broccoli. Boil about four cups of water in a pan. Throw in the broccoli florets. When the water boils once more, turn off the heat and scoop out the broccoli. Dump the florets into a bowl of iced water. Stir a little, let them get really cold then drain.
- Set the heat on low and pour the cooking oil in a wok. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook gently for a couple of minutes to allow them to flavor the oil.
- Turn up the heat. When the oil is smoking, add the shrimps. Stir fry just until the shrimps change color. Add the broccoli. Pour in the sauce. Stir until the sauce thickens and is no longer cloudy.
- Tip the contents of the wok onto a serving platter and serve the shrimp and broccoli stir fry immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.