Brimming with Mediterranean flavors, this meal of scrambled eggs, anchovies, tomatoes and basil cooks in 10 minutes. That makes it an ideal breakfast dish for busy people who are not into cereals and other instant meals.
- 3 cloves garlic - chopped
- 1 onion - chopped
- 1 to 2 tomatoes - cored and chopped
- 2 green finger chilis - finely sliced
- 1 handful basil leaves - no stalks, just the leaves
- 4 anchovies
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - doesn't have to be extra virgin
- 1 to 2 pinches black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a pan. Saute the garlic, onion, chilis and tomatoes until they soften a little. Add the basil leaves and continue cooking until the leaves start to wilt.
- Add the anchovies, breaking them as you stir. Season with pepper.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.
- Pour the beaten eggs into the pan.
- Stir lightly and cook just until the eggs are set. Okay, here's where preferences enter the picture. Some people like their eggs fully cooked and quite dry. I like my eggs soft and still runny in places. So, I turn off the heat before everything gets dry. You can always choose to cook the eggs to death, if that's how you like them.
- Serve the anchovies and eggs with salt on the side. I did not add salt while cooking because the anchovies are very salty and it is only when the dish is cooked that one can determine if it really needs more salt. So, let that be an individual choice. Serve the anchovies and eggs with rice or with bread— it's good with either way.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.