As it often happens, after a night of partying and ultra-indulgent food, I crave simplicity the next day. We hosted a lovely dinner party on Friday night—a family get-together and a celebration of Alex’s birthday—and we served beef tongue in white sauce, dinuguan, bok choy with shiitake and apple streusel cheesecake. When I woke up the following morning, I wanted something uncomplicated—simple but satisfying. So, I made this salted egg chicharon fried rice.
And what exactly is in this salted egg chicharon fried rice? The dish is a combination of ideas inspired by salted egg fried rice, the Japanese fried egg on rice (with furikake) and the salted egg chicharon that I liberally sprinkled on La Paz batchoy. It was one heck of a breakfast, believe me. Just imagine… With every mouthful, you get rice brimming with the aroma and flavor of garlic, the crunch from the creamy-sweet-salty chicharon, the indescribable umami-ness of the furikake… and then, when you cut through the runny egg yolk, a carpet of gold velvet sweeps gently over everything and… oh, soooo good.
Well, I may be generous with words but the best way to understand salted egg chicharon fried rice is to make it and eat it.
Salted Egg Chicharon Fried RicePrint Pin
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 and 1/2 cups cold cooked rice (day-old is best)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 whole eggs
- 2 teaspoons furikake
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped salted egg chicharon
- snipped parsley to garnish
- Heat one tablespoon of butter. Saute the garlic until fragrant. Add the rice, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook just until the rice is heated through.
- Divide the garlic fried rice between two bowls.
- Use the remaining butter to cook the eggs, sunny side up, until the whites are firm but the yolk still runny. Don't forget to season with salt and pepper
- Gently lay an egg over the rice on each bowl.
- Sprinkle the furikake and chopped chicharon over the eggs and rice.
- Garnish with snipped parsley.
- Serve the salted egg chicharon cried rice immediately.