Wouldn’t it be lovely if the most delectable desserts were fuss-free and did not require baking nor cooking? Unfortunately, most desserts take a lot of time and effort to prepare. Fortunately, there is rocky road which requires no baking nor cooking but demands patience for it needs to set perfectly before it is cut and served.
Where did rocky road get its name?
There is a claim that it was invented in Australia in 1853. The inspiration? To hide the flavor of confectionary that spoiled during long vogayes from Europe.
Why the sweet is called “rocky road” seems obvious from its appearance.
Whether the stories about its origin are true or not, I have no idea. What I am more reasonably sure of is that Rocky Road is popular not only in Australia but in the United Kingdom too. And what exactly go into the chocolate depends on whether you’re doing an Australian version (with nuts, coconut and marshmallows) or a UK version (with biscuit and fruit).
Rocky road is a fudge, not a brownie. So, don’t expect a cookie texture. It is not a chocolate bar either. Ergo, the chocolate squares will not harden the way chocolate bars do when kept in the fridge for several hours.
Rocky road sets and turns firm enough to be cut. But, in the mouth, it has the consistency of a truffle. If that’s not fantastic enough, the cut sides of a rocky road square or bar reveal colors and patterns where the mini marshmallows and nuts got sliced through. In short, rocky road, by most reasonable standards, is a perfect dessert because not only does it taste wonderful, it is beautiful too.
- Line a 8″x8″ pan with non-stick paper.
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces. Put in a mixing (microwaveablbowl.
- Pour in the cream.
- Heat on HIGH for 2 to 3 minutes (wattage of microwave ovens differor just until the chocolate softens and the cream starts to come to a simmer.
- Stir the chocolate and cream until the chocolate completely melts. Make sure there are no solid chocolate bits.
- Add the mini marshmallows and nuts to the chocolate. Fold to coat all the marshmallows and nuts with chocolate.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Chill for several hours (overnight is besuntil the fudge is firm enough to cut.
- Cut into 16 squares or 12 bars.