It isn’t difficult to make rice pudding with coconut custard topping. But for someone like me who still cooks rice on a trial and error basis, it took sometime to get it right.
It’s simple enough, really. Cook the glutinous rice in coconut milk with a little salt and brown sugar to taste, transfer to a baking dish, top with the custard and bake until the top is brown in spots.
The way it happened, the custard was easier to make than the rice pudding. I don’t remember anymore how many times I had to add coconut milk because there were still uncooked grains after 45 minutes on the stove.
But, whatever, the result was great. The custard is the same as the one I used for the cassava bibingka except that I totally omitted the evaporated milk and the sweetened condensed milk. Instead, I used honey + pancake syrup.
Rice Pudding With Coconut Custard ToppingPrint Pin
For the custard
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh milk
- 1/2 cup mixture of honey and pancake syrup you can use honey only or pancake syrup only
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- Cook the rice in coconut milk, stirring in the sugar and salt before it starts to boil. Start with only 4 cups of coconut milk and add little by little if 4 cups aren’t enough to cook the rice completely.
- Transfer the cooked rice pudding to a baking dish. Do not fill up the baking dish to the brim. Allow enough space for the custard.
- Prepare the custard. Mix together the milk, honey and pancake syrup mixture, flour and coconut milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, until thick.
- Beat the egg yolk in a bowl, pour half of the milk-flour mixture, beat until smooth, then pour the egg mixture back into the pan. Cook over low heat for another minute or so.
- Pour the custard over the rice pudding. Bake in a preheated 180C oven until the top is browned in places, about 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting to make sure that both the pudding and the custard are firm enough.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.