The perfect breakfast for a special day. I made these red velvet pancakes for Alex’s birthday but they’ll be just as good for Valentine’s Day or any special day.
The pancakes were made using the basic recipe but with the addition of a little cocoa powder and red paste. I spread cream cheese frosting over each pancake then stacked them. For the finishing touch — blueberries.
The basic pancake recipe is already in the archive; below, the recipe for the cream cheese frosting.
Red velvet pancakes with cream cheese frostingPrint Pin
- 1/4 cup cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup whipped cream
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Whip the cream cheese until light and fluffy. You can use a wire whisk or a mixer. Add the powdered sugar and whip some more just until combined.
- Add half of the cream cheese to the whipped cream and fold until combined. Add the rest of the cream cheese and the lemon juice. Fold until smooth.
- Taste the frosting. If you want it sweeter, add more powdered sugar, a tablespoonful or so at a time, and fold to combine.
- Spread about two teaspoonfuls of the frosting on the warm pancake. Repeat with the rest then stack three or more pancakes. Top with blueberries and serve.