A quick stew? Surely, that’s wrong? Isn’t a stew a slow-cooked dish by definition? Sure it is. And when cooking meat stew, the slow-cooking lasts until the meat is tender. So, how can there be such a thing as a quick stew? If the meat were cut thinly enough so that it cooks in a short time, then, putting it in a stew won’t require long hours of slow cooking. That was how I cooked this quick and easy beef, sweet potato and squash stew. It’s delicious!
Quick and Easy Beef, Sweet Potato and Squash StewPrint Pin
- Cut the beef into slices slightly less than a quarter inch thick (it is easier to do this if you semi-freeze the meat for a couple of hours). Cut into bite-size pieces. Sprinkle with about a teaspoonful of salt and a generous pinch of pepper. Mix and set aside.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into one-inch cubes.
- Cut off the skin of the squash, scoop out the seeds, then cut the flesh into one-inch cibes.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Dice the tomatoes.
- Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan. Fry the sweet potato and squash cubes just until lightly browned along the edges. Scoop out and set aside.
- Heat another two tablespoons of olive oil in the pan. Spread the beef on the entire bottom of the pan and leave to brown for a minute or two. Using a wide spatula, flip the meat over to brown the top side. Scoop out and set aside.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan. Saute the garlic, onion, tomatoes and sage with a little salt and pepper.
- Pour in the broth. Stir the paprika and tomato paste. Taste the sauce and add more salt and pepper, as needed.
- Add the sweet potato and squash cubes, and the browned beef to the pan. Stir. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or just until the vegetables are done.
- Taste the sauce one last time and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Sprinkle the the beef, sweet potato and squash stew with chopped parsley before serving.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.