In this Mexican potatoes with chorizo and chili recipe, typical of peasant fare according to the book Mexican Cooking by Jane Milton, the potatoes are made to absorb the complex flavors of chorizo so that a small piece of sausage goes a long way. And when I say small, I mean really small — I used a two-inch piece of chorizo to make this dish and it was more than enough.
One of the most versatile vegetables, potatoes are good when boiled, fried, mashed or grilled. They are delicious in stews, in soups, as main dish, as side dish or even as a snack. And the best thing about them is that they are like sponges. They absorb the flavors of other ingredients that they are cooked with.
This potatoes with chorizo and chili is good for brunch or as a side dish. It is best served immediately as the cheese hardens as it cools. You really want to enjoy it while the cheese is all soft and gooey.
Potatoes with chorizo and chiliPrint Pin
- 300 grams potatoes
- 50 grams chorizo (I used Iberico)
- bunch of onion leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 to 2 finger chilis
- 80 grams sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Peel the potatoes and cut into one-inch cubes. Boil in water for ten minutes. You’re not cooking the potatoes through at this point because you’ll be browning it in butter later.
- While the potatoes boil, cut the chorizo into small cubes. Crush and chop the garlic. Cut some onion leaves into one-inch lengths. How much depends on you. Slice a chili (or two). Slit and scrape off the seeds if you want your dish to be only mildly spicy.
- Drain and rinse in cold water (or dump in a bowl of iced water). Drain again.
- Heat the butter. Gently fry the chorizo, garlic, onion leaves and chili for about a minute.
- Add the potatoes and cook, stirring often, until the potatoes are done and lightly browned. Season with a little salt. The chorizo is salty so you won’t really need too much salt.
- While the potatoes are frying, grate the cheese.
- When the potatoes are done, turn off the heat.
- Add half of the cheese, toss then transfer the potatoes to a plate at once.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and reserved onion leaves over the potatoes.
- Serve the potatoes with chorizo and chili immediately. Best with cafe con leche.