So easy, so tasty. Cook the pork in salted water, scoop out, cool, chill, then pan fry with the sauces. The amazing thing is that the texture of the pork ribs with black beans and chili sauce does not have the crumbly boiled feel you get when cooking meat in water — it tasted like it was deep fried because it has a lightly browned crust.
But it isn’t deep fried. It is pan fried in just two tablespoonfuls of oil. So, where did the texture come from? Well, I can’t explain in it scientific terms. I just know that some kind of magic happened. My best guess is the caramelization of sugar.
This dish of pork ribs with black beans and chili sauce was what we had with the sweet and sour green beans and mushrooms. While the pork was chilling in the freezer, I took the time to make the accompanying vegetable dish.
Pork ribs with black beans and chili sauce
- 750 grams of pork ribs cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 head half a head of garlic
- 1 whole whole onion halved
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons black bean sauce or lightly pounded black beans
Place the pork ribs in a wide shallow pan so that they are all in a single layer. A frying pan is just perfect.
Pour enough water to cover.
Add the 1 tbsp. of salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, half head of garlic and whole onion.
Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Scoop out, cool then chill in the freezer to firm up the meat. Don’t skip this part — if the meat goes into the frying pan while still hot, it will fall apart. So stick the pork ribs in the freezer. Half an hour will do.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the cold pork ribs and cook over high heat, tossing frequently, until the edges start to brown.
- Add the garlic, sugar, black beans and chili sauce. Continue cooking over high heat until the meat is coated with the sauces and the sugar has caramelized substantially.
Serve the pork ribs with black beans and chili sauce hot with rice.