Serving mini-sandwiches over the holidays? Here’s an idea that requires very little work. Sukiyaki-cut pork is seasoned with spice mix, pan-grilled and topped with lightly caramelized onion. We used mini-croissants for these pork BBQ mini sandwiches but just about any bread will do.
How does all that translate to “very little work”? Well, the pork is pre-cut for you. Just add the spice rub and mix. The only thing you need to slice is the onion. You have to split the bread too if you’re not using pre-sliced bread. No elaborate preparation is required.
What spice rub is required? It’s easy enough to buy barbecue seasoning in the grocery. But if you want more control over the flavor, color and texture of the cooked pork, you can make your own. Check out the Cajun spice seasoning recipe and the post “The perfect barbecue sauce / marinade (is not available in your local grocery)” for inspiration.
Let’s have a preview of the steps involved in the recipe for these pork BBQ mini sandwiches.
First, marinate the pork.
Second, caramelize plenty of thinly sliced onion.
Fourth, assembly the mini sandwiches and serve.
Pork BBQ Mini SandwichesPrint Pin
- 500 grams sukiyaki-cut pork with a generous amount of fat
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions
- fresh greens (I used cilantro; parsley is good too), to garnish
- Spread the pork slices in a shallow bowl. Add the spice mix and work into the meat. Cover and allow to marinate while you prepare the caramelized onion.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion slices and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir to blend. Set aside.
- On the stove top grill or in a cast iron pan, spread the pork and cook over high heat until done. Sukiyaki-cut pork is so thin that it's done in just a few minutes.
- Assemble the sandwiches. Place one to two slices of pork on a slice of bread, top with caramelized onion, sprinkle with snipped greens, cover with another slice of bread. Serve the pork BBQ mini sandwiches.