A thick and creamy peas and potato soup that takes just a little over 30 minutes to make. I first made this soup on one of those weekends when everything just felt right. The girls caught up with much needed sleep and, as a result, they were in an amiable mood. No one whined. No one demanded impossible things. In short, life was so relaxed and smooth-sailing that cooking lunch was not a chore but a dreamy waltz.
That was over four years ago. And I’ve made this soup several times since. Good food just need to be made more than once.
Yes, the peas and potatoes were pureed. Using pureed potatoes instead of roux to thicken soup is a trick that I have been using more and more. Why use flour when fresh potatoes are available? One might argue that the flavors of lightly browned butter and flour make a better base but butter can always be added to the soup without going through the roux-making process.
And you can’t beat the flavors of good broth. Bone broth. Always. Scrap bones simmered with spices, herbs and vegetables. That’s what we use at home.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 500 grams potatoes
- 6 cups bone broth preferably homemade
- salt and pepper to taste
- knob butter
- fried onion slices to garnish
- Dice the potatoes. Place in a pot with the peas. Pour in the broth. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about half an hour or until the potatoes are very soft.
- Pour all the contents of the pot into the blender pitcher. Process until smooth.
- Pour the puree back into the pot. Taste. If too thick, add more broth. Season with salt and pepper. Reheat to simmering point. Drop in the butter. Cook, stirring, just until the butter melts.
- Ladle the peas and potato soup into bowls and sprinkle with fried onion slices.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.
For more soups with pureed potatoes, see:
Carrot and potato soup with shiitake mushrooms
Creamy Potato and Bacon Soup
Velvety chick pea and potato soup
Potato and cheese soup
Creamy potato soup with squash, carrots and green beans (and optional meat topping)