Strips of crispy fried chicken fillets, homemade croutons, lettuce, tomato wedges, onion slices, sweet peaches and fresh herbs. This peach and chicken salad with fresh herbs is a complete meal and it’s delicious!
The not so great part? The peaches came from a can. We like canned peaches but, in this dish, it’s really just a substitute for fresh ripe mangoes.
(See also: Mangoes in Sweet and Savory Dishes)
Alex was asking what to do with the chicken fillets in the fridge that had been marinating for a day, and I told her why not salad with mangoes? Speedy went out to buy mangoes but they turned out to be too tart and too expensive. It’s monsoon season in the country and fruits are not at their best. So, we make do with what we have.
Truth is, I’m not even a fan of canned food. And I often have so many nasty things to say about them. Full of additives and extenders. They’re food for the lazy. Etcetera, etcetera. But, come monsoon season, I tend to eat my words. Like it or not, when fresh fruits in the market are so sad-looking and at double or triple the usual prices too, canned suddenly becomes good enough.
Fortunately enough, the vegetables — though pricier than usual — were in great condition. So, the salad happened. With canned peaches.
- Cut the chicken fried steaks into half-inch wide strips.
- Tear the lettuce into smaller pieces, rinse and pass through the salad spinner.
- Cut the tomatoes into wedges.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Place all the ingredients, including the peaches, croutons and fresh herbs, in a mixing bowl. Drizzle in three tablespoons chili lime salad dressing and toss.
- Ladle the salad into bowls. Serve with more chili lime dressing on the side.
If you made this dish using our recipe and would like to publish your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the recipe instructions in your own words.