The best way to describe the avocado sauce is a no-cook creamy pesto. The creaminess is courtesy of the avocado which also imparts a slight sweetness. Overall, the sauce is a little bit tart, garlicky and full of the wonderful flavors of fresh sweet basil.
The grated cheese topping is optional. Omit it and this pasta with avocado sauce becomes totally vegan.
Pasta with avocado saucePrint Pin
- Cook the pasta in salted boiling water (see how to cook al dente pasta like a pro).
- Cut the avocado in half, discard the stone, scoop out the flesh and roughly chop.
- Crush the garlic and discard the skins.
- Roughly chop the basil leaves.
- Place the chopped avocado, basil leaves, garlic and olive oil in the blender. Sprinkle in some salt and pepper. Pulse just until smooth. If the blender motor has a hard time, add a few more tablespoons of olive oil to help get it running.
- Pour in about a teaspoonful of lime or lemon juice. Pulse a few more times. Taste. Adjust the seasonings, if needed, adding more lemon juice, salt or pepper, or all of them.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the avocado sauce, ladle into bowls, top with grated cheese (unless you want a vegan dish) and serve immediately.