It is fried rice but not Chinese style. My paprika rice with grilled pork and Italian garlic sausages has the flavors and aroma of the Mediterranean.
It’s a recycled dish, really, made with holiday leftovers. We grilled pork and chicken on New Year’s Eve, had some excess, so I chopped the meat into small cubes and combined with Italian garlic sausages and vegetables.
As I wrote a while back, we’re going back to cooking simpler dishes that don’t take forever to cook. The rice dish took 10 minutes to prepare and another 10 minutes to cook. And only one pan was used from start to finish.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil not extra virgin
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- salt to taste
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 and 1/2 cups chopped eggplant
- 1 cup chopped cooked pork or chicken, or both (I used grilled pork and chicken)
- 1 to 2 Italian garlic sausage cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 4 to 5 cups cooked rice (day-old rice that has sat overnight in the fridge is best)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (available in the spice section of the grocery)
- 1 tablespoon paprika (smoked or sweet, either will work)
- 12 to 15 pitted black olives halved or sliced
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Over medium-low heat, cook the onion, carrot, bell peppers and garlic with a few pinches of salt and pepper until softened and aromatic, about five minutes.
- Dump the meat, sausages and eggplants into the pan; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through and the eggplants are done but still firm.
- Meanwhile, crumble the rice to separate the grains; toss with the Italian seasoning and paprika.
- Add the rice to the meat and vegetables. Cook, tossing gently, until heated through.
- Toss in the olives and cook for another half a minute.
- Taste the rice. Add more salt and pepper, if needed, and toss to blend.
- Serve the paprika rice with grilled pork and Italian sausages immediately.
If you cooked this dish (or made this drink) and you want to share your masterpiece, please use your own photos and write the cooking steps in your own words.